Do you have your costume picked out yet? We are excited to be celebrating Halloween this year, but wanted to share a few our of survival tips with you! These tips will keep you from feeling sick and defeated from eating way to much sugar in one evening! 🙂
1. Have a full tummy before you go out trick-or-treating or to your Halloween party. We all know that when we are full and satisfied already it’s so much easier to say NO to those sweet treats. If you are taking kids out trick-or-treating, have them eat a good balanced dinner with protein and 1/2 of an avocado.
2. Bring a healthy snack with you. Halloween evening can go on for a LONG time so be sure to come prepared. Pack some healthy snacks, some sliced fruit, some nuts, or a favorite snack to enjoy.
3. Have a plan for when you get home. It’s easy to indulge in the holiday but often we are left feeling sick and oh so tired. Give yourself the 1 treat rule, or make a rule that works for your 80/20 balance. If you are not loving the idea of your kids having 3 lbs of candy to eat over the next few days, consider a trade of some kind with them. Em offers her kiddos to trade their candy to the ‘Halloween fairy’ and in exchange, she will bring them a super cool toy they have been wanting. Works like a charm… every time. And EVERYONE sleeps better at night. If you do this, throw the candy away. This is KEY. Because if you hide it, you will know where it is, and it will torment you until you finish it yourself. 🙂
4. Don’t forget the simple stuff like drinking water. Hydration is key always, but especially during the holidays and when you are having a few extra sweet treats.
5. Tenley loves making cinnamon and sugar pepitas. It’s so simple and makes for a fun snack for the kiddos. Just take a cup of pumpkin seeds and spread out on a baking sheet. Toss with coconut oil. Sprinkle some cinnamon, 1 tsp coconut sugar on top. Bake until crispy and your kids will think you are a genius!
And just in case you need some inspiration for your preparation, try this super simple recipe that will definitely impress your kids!