This is one of my absolute favorite recipes for Spring and Summer season! These grain free lemon bars are light and refreshing, and the best part is they are a sweet treat (but not too sweet, with that perfect tangy punch) but they don’t contain any refined grains, flours, or sugars! Mmm… my mouth is already watering. Oh that pucker of the lemon! 😉
6 whole pastured eggs
1/2 cup honey
1 cup lemon juice (about 8 lemons)
1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
1 cup of chopped raw almonds (not almond flour)
1 cup of chopped raw pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
2 pastured eggs
1. Whisk eggs, honey, and lemon juice together in a small sauce pan.
2. Heat on medium/high and add coconut oil. Stir until the coconut oil has melted.
3. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
4. Remove from heat and place in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool and thicken further.
1. Place nuts in a food processor or blender until finely chopped, do not puree. They should be in tiny pieces but not as fine as almond flour.
2. Mix the nuts with the remaining ingredients (maple syrup, coconut oil, and eggs) until they are well combined.
3. Spread over the bottom of a coconut oil greased baking dish. (Around an 8×12 casserole dish works well)
4. Heat oven to 400* and bake for 15-18 minutes. The crust will be done when you can insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
5. Cool crust completely before layering the filling over the top. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Enjoy for a perfect dessert or even a pre meal treat! I recently broke these out at a brunch before we indulged into our savory foods and these were perfect to hold us over because they weren’t too sweet!